Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Moolo Shaak or Greens of the Radish



Those of you who know how to cook this probably would laugh at me for posting such a recipe. It is extremely easy to cook.
Let me tell you a little about me here.
I love "shaak". I am this zodiac-sign-freak and being a Capricorn, that I am, call myself a goat for my affinity towards fresh green "shaak" or "saag". My favorite being kopi'r shaak or cauliflower leaves. My father one day went shopping and found a man selling cauliflower. He went and asked him whether he was willing to sell the leaves only.
To which, the shopkeeper replied - "Babu, the customers refuse to buy the cauliflowers along with the leaves because it increases the real weight of the veggie, so I have separated them and kept all of it aside. Very few people come for buying it and it is mostly the cows who eat it".
My father has a great sense of humor, he smiled and said, "My daughter also eats it".

I heard this from my mother who accompanied my dad to the market that day, she told me, "everybody smiled and the shopkeeper himself got up from his seat, found a bag and put in a lot of the green cauliflower leaves for you".

Now for the recipe :

Ingredients:

Moolo shaak/ mooli ka saag/ raddish greens
Mustard oil
Dry red chillies (whole)- 1
Kalo jeera/ Nigella - half a tea spoon
One green chilly slit from the top
Salt to taste
Maida/ flour - Half a tea-spoon


Method :

Wash and chop the leaves. Heat very little mustard oil in a pan, put in the dry red chilly and saute for 15 seconds. Remove the red chilly and keep aside. Add the kalo jeera and green chilly into the pre-heated oil, saute and put in the leaves. Add salt to taste and cook covered for 4 minutes. Open the lid and stir. To this add half a tea spoon of flour and turn off the burner. Smash the fried red chilly and sprinkle from the top. You are done. Serve with steaming rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment